The Ethos and Aims of Battle Abbey School
From the nursery through to the Abbey, we are a caring and highly regarded family school with exceptional pastoral care and sensitive discipline, accompanied by strong academic results, focusing on the importance of each individual child.
With our enviable locations, impressive and talented students, loyal and dedicated teachers, international dimension provided by our wonderful boarding community and our distinctive ethos based on kindness, compassion, friendship, mutual respect and trust – Battle Abbey is a special place to study. The School’s rich history and many traditions are based on Christian values and the school welcomes students and families from all faiths and none.
Students enjoy the friendly and purposeful atmosphere at Battle Abbey and have a real affection for the School. From the very start at the Prep School, they learn to be inquisitive and creative individuals who are challenged to do their best. They learn the rewards that are the result of hard work both in and out of the classroom. They learn to compete hard in all areas of school life but also to serve, support and think of others. They learn how to develop as people and to become better team players and that manners and good conduct matter. They learn how to interact with students from all over the world as well as with people of all ages. They make great friends along the way, have lots of fun in a safe environment and develop very strong relationships with their motivated and supportive teachers.
Both the Senior and Prep Schools have a proven track record of achieving strong academic results and a well-deserved reputation for adding significant academic value in a mixed ability setting. We also have a unique enrichment programme which sees students introduced to subjects, topics and issues that are not covered in a typical exam syllabus. Furthermore, we are very good at finding skills and aptitudes in students that they don’t always know that they possess and we try very hard to develop those newly found strengths and interests. Academic success is something we value highly, but we are proud of the achievements of our pupils in all fields. Our pupils invariably achieve their best because we believe the pastoral care and the relationships that exist are exceptional.
In essence, the School aims to create passionate and enthusiastic life-long learners and also to inspire its young people to become positive and engaging members of their communities – locally, nationally and globally.
Specific aims are:
- To continue to inspire pupils to aspire for excellence in all that they undertake and to acknowledge and reward the achievements of each individual according to his/her aptitudes and interests.
- To promote balanced social development through warm and sensitive pastoral care within our disciplined day and boarding community.
- To prepare pupils for life after school by providing an all-round education in which pupils of all ages are valued as individuals and develop the self-respect, self-confidence and empathy for the needs and desires of others that will enable them to contribute positively to our changing world.
- To continue to develop the facilities and resources of the school to ensure that they underpin the achievement of the school’s aims and objectives.
The staff promise
- to help you fulfill your potential
- to respect you as an individual
- to provide the best education possible
- to provide a happy and safe environment
- to make sure you are free to learn
- to expose you to courtesy, honesty, loyalty and fairness
- to listen to what you have to say
- to be available to talk
- to help you when you are in any trouble
- to believe in you and encourage you
We expect the pupils….
- to be kind, caring and friendly
- to respect us and each other
- to respect property
- to listen to advice
- to follow instructions
- to ask when you do not understand
- to behave well
- to try your hardest at all times both in and out of the classroom
- to develop good sportsmanship, co-operation and team spirit
- to take responsibility for your own actions
- to be polite, honest, loyal and fair
- to conform to school rules